What inspires curiosity

 

Vulnerability 12 x 12 Collage on Wood Panel

We all know Vulnerability is really walking in courage. Working with a limited color palette can be a challenge at times but the challenges bring about new possibilities at new level. Staying with a circle theme and ringlets all symbolism in my work a sign of healing. Though it’s just a paper bag with a handle laying there on the surface.  The movement of the elements for me create so much more. Working on the flat surface with texture is another challenge of not really knowing how it will connect. The place of unknown and vulnerability in action.  That whole aspect can leave one open to many emotions of judgement and criticism from others.  As a collage artist I personal work at going deeper with express then just the surface.  Layering ways and means of the human spirit. 



Crow of Many Colors 18 x 18 Collage on Wood Panel

I’ve been fortunate to be raised with the understanding of all people, all colors, all ages, all genders. With curiosity of beliefs, ceremonies, and our use of clothing.  As I age the ability to listen to different values, culture, and the knowledge of the diversity of this Earth is an ever-widening ray of color.  We are all relation and so very connected.  We seek differently but end up spiritually in the same place.  My love of crows has been a journey ever since I was almost 5 and I would spend my days swing on a swing in the back yard.  The crows seem to join me and watch over me as I was moving in child’s meditation. Creativity and Spirituality go hand and hand in my life and I’m ever so grateful for it. 


Compassion 12 x 12 Collage on Wood Panel

Using found papers has always been my first choice. Collage can go in many directions by the choices you make with the papers you use. The rarity of Brown paper bags with handles is another wild attraction of mine. An amazing invention you might say. Taking the brown bag and using it as the substrate for my collages was an idea that popped in and needed play out its possibilities. I picked a word with great meaning and ponder on them. Used symbolism of shapes and colors to express a deeper understanding. The rocks symbolize a solid state of many things in our life. The large circle with the star aspect is there to help us come to center and ground our being as human to human. The colors that were chosen became a test in artistic design along with the placement of them and the other papers I playfully make.


I do love these brown paper bags, and what can be done to the surface and how one can self - discovery and self - express if we allow that of ourselves.  I look back on this that were created at the beginning of 2022 and how by happily playing around and allowing myself to make mistakes to the aftermath of new surface designs the excitement keeps feeding the curiosity of what else could I try and work with.   

There will be an exhibit come the new year at Naperville Settlement in Naperville IL. Close to Darien and sense I'm in eldercare the limits of staying closer are also the possibilities for sharing what I so passionately love to do and that I'm able to do...lets say, "it's not Odd, it's God," in my life.  My heart of spiritual heart is over joyed to continue the journey of an artist.  Staying flexible as I can with in limits.  Darn I say this whole attitude has always work for me.    These are three image above are my entries in the exhibit for the theme of Inspired Curiosity.  Wish me luck that one of them will make it in. 

Comments

Popular Posts