Fit in an Artist Dates




Rick Bartow (Wiyot, Vietnam War): Bartow suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and survivor’s guilt after he was discharged from the military in 1971. He participated in conventional therapy but believes that making art was what helped him find himself again. For Bartow, the artistic process starts with a search for metaphors. “And then sometimes things happen, and I follow the lead. And in the end, I’m dealing not only with the part of me that’s Native American but also the part of me that is a veteran.” Throughout his career, Bartow created multi-layered, visually complex lithographs that express his response to these powerful internal forces. 





Melissa Doud (Lac Du Flambeau-Chippewa, Iraq, Army):  For Melissa Doud, being a powwow jingle dancer is about healing. Melissa served 20 years in the U.S. Army including one tour in Iraq. Her powerful piece Bullet Dress is composed of 365 spent bullet casings sown onto a dress made of camouflage fabric. Doud says, “Creating this dress after I came back from Iraq was part of my healing journey. Now I dance for others and can display the path I went through to get here."  


This exhibit actually was coming down this past Saturday afternoon.   As I came to the city of Chicago to see the exhibit, mainly to see Rick Bartow's work...it came over me when you make a choice to do something and then you do and you find out the exhibit was closing up that afternoon...I feel blessed to be there and guided there....As my friend says, not Odd it's God or good orderly direction. 


My artist way book from 1999 is not falling apart...so wild...I treasure this book so many side bar scribbles.  Well speaking of artist way book guess it time to get ready for class this morning.

Comments

Popular Posts