Sharing about the Wood Panels

 These are Blick Wood panels, I found them a while back and have been using them and the other wood panels by Ampersand.  I like them like because of the completed look to them and people don't have to worry about a frame then can quickly hang it on the wall. (sad to say I bought out the stock on 8 x 8's got to wait till Jan 2014 for more, but they have a sale on them now)

As you can see the panel is taped with blue painters tape. I do that to protect my hand oils and other art materials from getting on the surface before I decide about the choice of color or if I should stain them or leave them natural.

I only bring the blue tape up to the top panel edge so that can be painted with the brown acrylics.  And as you can see I get a bit happy with it and make a mess done the side of the tape. Well that's why it's there. After the paint soaks in, I give the top and side edge two coats of Polymer medium.

 
I also give the collage that I created on the 140lb watercolor paper two coats of polymer medium on it's back side.  Be aware it may look like its curling up but it will be fine when you tack it down.

Using the Tack iron and a safety release sheet so it doesn't melt the collage papers with the layer of polymer on it I fuse them all to the surface.  I take my time as it's thicker then just doing it on the watercolor paper. 

Hope this helps answer the few questions I have had about it.   No reason why you can't just collage on the panel...I'm doing that with a large one from Ampersand I've just coated the surface with two coats of the polymer...Yes I've got the polymer jar strapped to the art utility belt I wear... all day.  When you buy it by the gallon you use it on everything...Oh when I finish pull the blue tape off and then I finish with Satin varnish on wood sides and top. You can give it two coats too...dries fast cause the first layer soaks in really quick like. 

Comments

  1. You are so generous to share this information, Laura. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the look of the panels, ingenious to amp up some older pieces this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wood panels like I said are on sale and come in a lot of different sizes...I think there great.

      Delete
  3. thank you - I first heard about the Polymer Medium in your videos ... have to buy it..
    it's also handy to know this process for bringing a simple print on blank wood panel...
    beautiful panel -- I really adore your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blick's brand of polymer medium works for just the tack down part but if you want to do a image transfer it works best with the Polymer medium from Golden.. so that's why I just Golden's then don't have to switch for the image transfers.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the detailed information. I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good information about Wood Panels
    . Thanks for sharing informative post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for support, interest and viewing my inner life with my outer life on this Blog. Wishing you many creative blessings and peace to you and yours,
~v~Laura

Popular Posts